Powered by Blogger.

Monday, April 21, 2014

The Vicious Deep (The Vicious Deep #1) by Zoraida Cordova

For Tristan Hart, everything changes with one crashing wave. He was gone for three days. Sucked out to sea in a tidal wave and spit back ashore at Coney Island with no memory of what happened. Now his dreams are haunted by a terrifying silver mermaid with razor-sharp teeth. His best friend Layla is convinced something is wrong. But how can he explain he can sense emotion like never before? How can he explain he's heir to a kingdom he never knew existed? That he's suddenly a pawn in a battle as ancient as the gods. Something happened to him in those three days. He was claimed by the sea...and now it wants him back.

I loved this story! It’s negatives would be a high amount of sexual (but non-graphic) content and a high amount of cussing..BUT it shows a ton of originality! Not to mention, it’s from Tristan’s perspective. FINALLY, a male perspective YA book. I was getting really tired of all the wimpy protagonists. Tristan is a player, a lifeguard, (a stereotypical one at that!) and then BAM. He’s introduced to a world of bloodthirsty merfolk.  I loved the whimsy of it, and yet it had a serious tone. I loved that Tristan was such a boy. I know, that’s a girl saying, but he was! You want to hug him one minute and call him Jerk Face the next.  And…as a little personal story I’d like to say that I got to read this one outside! And guess what? It didn’t melt! That’s the first time I’ve managed to do that. Basking in the sun with my music, dog, and this book! It made me feel like it was the perfect summer evening. It even distracted me successfully from this new painful medication I’ve been put on (illness, 0 - Zoraida,2 = WIN)! This is a definite summer read. (recommended for older teens because of the sexual refrences) I can’t wait to hear more from Zoraida! Do you have any cool summer reads?

No comments:

Post a Comment