Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Heist Society (Heist Society #1) by Ally Carter


When Katarina Bishop was three, her parents took her on a trip to the Louvre…to case it. For her seventh birthday, Katarina and her Uncle Eddie traveled to Austria…to steal the crown jewels. When Kat turned fifteen, she planned a con of her own—scamming her way into the best boarding school in the country, determined to leave the family business behind. Unfortunately, leaving “the life” for a normal life proves harder than she’d expected.
Soon, Kat's friend and former co-conspirator, Hale, appears out of nowhere to bring Kat back into the world she tried so hard to escape. But he has a good reason: a powerful mobster has been robbed of his priceless art collection and wants to retrieve it. Only a master thief could have pulled this job, and Kat's father isn't just on the suspect list, he is the list. Caught between Interpol and a far more deadly enemy, Kat’s dad needs her help.


The book synopsis is perfect, so I didn't write my own. I loved the characters and the plot (no spoilers!) It took a classic motive and made it new again. I also love the characters, they are realistic in the sense that…..well..…let me explain it better. How many books have you read where the main female role is crazy about some guy, and he’'s too dense to see it? Let me guess: more than you can count.

This one breaks that long lived mold. Most female authors take to heart that men are not as emotional as women. But, some authors take it too much to heart. Most (most being the key word) guys are not feeling-less neanderthals. Men may not show emotion as much, but their prides can be bruised just as much (if not, more) than girls. For once we have a male character (Hale) who actually feels emotion, without going overboard, or underboard, as the case may be. For once, Kat, the female lead is quite clueless (or at least as much as the boys usually are) about his more than friendship feelings. It shows the truth of things. Half the time, girls are just as clueless as boys. As an example, a boy once flirted with me over the entirety of summer camp, and I had no idea until I told my sister of our adventures. In which case, I blushed and thought that the poor boy never got any gratitude from me! He invested so much, and I just interacted like a dope. It felt good to read about a female character in my shoes. I loved Heist Society and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a great refreshing novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment